Random, but I can't get over the fact that I keep eating in Chris' (our) car even though I know I shouldn't. It's a really bad habit of mine. Chris bought this car when we were dating, and from day one we both agreed NO EATING. I'm sure everybody starts with that rule with a new car. Except WE were going to be the exceptions and actually stick to it. And it helps that my wonderful husband would probably keep it faithfully if it weren't for me slowly leading him down the dark path.
I don't try to hide it from him, I just get this huge smile on my face as I'm opening a bag of chips and say, "I PROMISE I won't spill a crumb!" In the beginning he used to say no and fight me for the bag, and I'd sit in my sit and act like I was starving to death. But then I'd say, "Just ONE chip. Only one. How many crumbs can one chip make?" Well, then it got to, "Just this bag, I won't drink the soda, only the chips." You can see where I'm going with this.
Even today when I get in the car with food he gives me that look, and I give him the same look back. We don't need words to communicate anymore. I know he doesn't like me to eat it and he knows that I try to be really, really careful and I'll starve to death if I don't eat it. So we compromise.
One time I was extra careful eating in the car. As he opened the door for me and I stepped out, I caught him staring at my empty seat. Who knows how, but some crumbs had fallen UNDERNEATH me and onto my seat. How does that happen? I'm eating sooo carefully and instead of falling into my lap, they finagle their way down to the bottom, crawl underneath me, and I end up crushing it into the seat. Humph.
This has gone on for months...until the gum. I promise it wasn't me! Okay, so it's in the passenger side of the car (but he has sat there a FEW times!) At least I know it didn't come from my mouth. It must have been on my shoe and therefore carefully removed from my shoe onto the floor mat in front of my seat. And somehow this little piece of gum has ruined all my hard work and all the trust I've gained in Chris. Somehow I can't eat in the car again because this tiny piece of gum found its way onto my shoe and then onto the mat! I wish I knew who spit that gum out on the floor before I stepped on it, they're really not helping my case here.
Well in my defense, I AM really careful and I don't do it that often. Except for tonight. But I was starving and couldn't wait until I got home! El Pollo Loco's quesadillas are just so good! Maybe I'll make it a New Year's resolution (I know it's not January) to not eat in the car anymore. Yeah....wish me luck, I'll need it.
Wednesday, May 7, 2008
Rules are meant to be broken...right?
Posted by Karly at 10:43 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
thank you for reminding me of the only advantage to driving around an old piece of crap-mobile. I can eat whatever I want in it and not feel bad!
I like the new years resolution idea... just say it will be your 2009 resolution...
ps- tell him your just breaking it in so it won't be so devastating when little Cahoon makes a mess in the back seat: formula, cheerios, melted crayons :)
oh boy I dumped that rule in my car a long time ago. good luck!
Haha, great post, Karly! I just spent an hour or so yesterday vacuuming my car, thanks to sandy beach trips and spilled muffin crumbs. When this car was new, I SWORE I wouldn't let it get messy... oh well. Life happens!
I wish I had that rule, anything beats driving around in a Cherrio infested minivan.
I am also not allowed to eat in the car. luckily at my time in need: morning sickness..when I have to eat out and I cannot wait til we get home or I won't want it anymore.. he offered me the option to eat..i didn't even have to ask...so there is hope
oh yeah..and he said the kids won't eat in the car...but that went out the window when it helped them to be quiet in the backseat...
did you get my email :)
i resent last night! let me know if you don't get it. xoxo
Post a Comment