I know everyone has made a post about the earthquake, but I still am going to jump on the band wagon. It was actually fun to read everyone's blogs so far and hear their experiences from this morning. Some were pretty funny.
I was sitting at my desk talking to a co-worker when things started shaking. At first I thought someone was doing construction on the roof, that has shaken the office before. But then we realized it was an earthquake. And all I did was just wait for it to end. I stood up and walked to enter the lobby, just to check on the guests and see if there was anything we'd need to do, but I definitely wasn't scared. I have been in my fair share of tremors and I'm used to the little shaking. A few other co-workers are not from California and were freaking out. But I remember when I was younger...I definitely freaked out during my first quake, so I don't blame them. Just like I would go crazy in a tornado watch - yeah kidding I wouldn't survive!
But after it was over, and security checked the building, and we informed guests all afternoon that we were fine and gave them the details of the quake, I realized what happened. When I thought about the quake, that's when I got scared. I thought of what would have happened if it was a bigger one and closer to home. I thought of being away from Chris in a real disaster and worrying if he was alright. The thought terrified me and I had to email him and tell him I loved him and missed him. :) I also thought about our food storage and supplies to be prepared for an emergency. It's been pretty heavy on my mind the last month, and trust me, I have never had emergency preparedness on my mind. I then thought about the "last days" and being spiritually prepared. I wanted to go home and read my scriptures and make sure I was doing everything I should, and more. There are so many ways we need to be prepared and this was another good reminder.
I talked to my mom on my lunch break, who was a lot closer to the epicenter than me, and the first thing she said was, "well, we have our food storage." They have enough food storage for themselves, and my brother, and Chris and I, and maybe half the neighborhood. I am so grateful for the example my parents have set. What a comfort when you are prepared.
I don't mind the small tremors, but I know I'm scared to death of being in a big one. So I'm going to stop thinking about it. Haha. What's really scary is that it was in Chino Hills and was a 5.8, and I was in Dana Point and felt the effects of it. It's crazy how far it reaches. And can you imagine 2 earthquakes at once?....
Tuesday, July 29, 2008
The Earthquake today...
Posted by Karly at 9:27 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
if it's been on your mind, do something about it! That's how I was a few months ago, I could not stop thinking about 72 hour kits, so I finally got ours assembled and I haven't thought about it since. And it's nice to know we're prepared a little in case of an emergency. We still need to work on food storage though...
but I'm glad you're okay!
Post a Comment