Today after work Chris and I joined some members of our ward to promote Prop 8 in our city. We met in a bank parking lot on Pacific Coast Highway just 2 blocks up the street from our home. The Bishop pulled a stack of signs from his trunk and was handing them out. When we first arrived there was only the Bishop and one other brother. So Chris and I grabbed a sign and joined them on the corner of the street. It was awkward at first...Just 4 of us holding signs to the cars driving by.
I was excited before it started, I felt so courageous to be standing on the side of the street holding signs. I felt so...so...political almost. Standing for a cause - being a part of promoting my view.
But once we started I felt like those people that stand on corners and yell and protest. I never wanted to be one of those people, and I hope I didn't come off that way to cars driving by. I almost felt bad waving the signs to all these cars. But deep down I knew what I was doing was right. As silly as I felt at first, and as tempted as I was to hide my face with the sign, it definitely was worth it. I am not ashamed of what I believe, I've just never promoted it so bluntly before! Or wanted to force it on other people.
We were a happy bunch, and our numbers grew from 4 to about 15 people - we had a little impressive group of dancing and sign waving supporters.
Aside from our pleasant attitude we definitely received some negative feedback. Some foul language choices and some inappropriate hand gestures were heard and seen. But we definitely received more honks and waves from supporters than from the negative bunch. I'd say we had 10 supporting cars to every angry car. That's great! We even had one car pull over and excitedly talk to us and ask if we were Catholic. They were great and even had a Prop 8 bumper sticker in the back of their car. It's wonderful to see different religions, and even some non-religous people, coming together to support such a crucial issue....THE FAMILY!
I am excited to say that I warmed up and felt proud to be standing there holding the signs. It still didn't feel very natural, but I definitely warmed to the idea. We were standing on the corner right behind the hotel I work at. It was near the exit where many of our associates drive home. I saw many people drive by me that I knew from work. I'm not sure if they recognized me or not, but that's when I really realized that I was a part of something. I was doing this in my own city, with people I know. It might be easy to go to someone else's city and stand on a street corner where no one knows you. But I stood and watched many people that I knew drive by (I even think I saw my mail man!), that made me think about the reasons I was doing this. I wanted to be willing to do what was asked of me, no matter what I looked like to the world. Isn't that what the scriptures teach? I know this isn't about the gospel, and I'm not trying to tie the two together, but the idea is the same. I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ - we read that in the Bible. And I've wanted to believe I would stand up in front of anyone, even peers, and not back down for what I believe.
Today definitely felt like one of those days. Maybe next time I will be a little more brave.
It was a win in my book.
I felt apart of it all. I feel like I can look back and know that I didn't just sit on the sidelines and let others do the work. Here I am, send me. Let me do my part. I will not only vote yes on the ballot, I will not only contribute any funds I have available, I will not only tract houses and make phone calls, but I will stand on the corners of the street and stand for something that is right. If that doesn't motivate you...then what does?
Tuesday, October 14, 2008
"On the street where you live...."
Posted by Karly at 8:53 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
That is awesome!! Bobby and I are doing in on thursday night after work! We are excited and feel blessed to be contributing and doing our part in this so important event!
Great job girl!!
I love that you were a part of it all. I sure hope my dad and little brother were there to dance around with those signs. I heard my ward did the same thing down on Pico in San Clemente in front of the Denny's. I totally wish I could've gone but am still out of town. I feel so strongly though that each of us should be doing all we can to ensure that Prop 8 passes. Way to go you two! I'm so proud of you!!!
You are awesome! I love how honest you are! Standing on the corner is not an easy thing to do, but you did it anyway! I'm so glad there were so many supporters out there too!
YES on Prop 8!
Great post!
I still need your email address for book club, email me at tarakelseypaddock@hotmail.com ;0) ;0)
I'm so proud of you!
you rock!!
So good Karly. I had a lady call me and ask me to photograph a gay marriage this last week. And I said no, that I didn't feel comfortable with it. It was a lady in my ward that asked me for a co-worker, so she understood, but I'm sure there were some in their office that thought I was horrible and heaven's know I could use the money. But, especially with all this going on, I knew I did the right thing. It really did feel good. I haven't been able to go on any of the walks or anything, but I thought I was able to stand up for what I believe. It is a scary thing, if this doesn't pass, I won't be able to say no.
Good for you Karly. I have the bumper sticker on the back of my car and for a moment I was tempted to take it off in fear that my car would get egged or something or that my neighbors may never talk to us again. Then, I thought of Christ and all his supporters and followers. Some people have died in the name of Christ. Surely, I could risk an egged car.
Post a Comment