Monday, February 11, 2008

The best talk I never gave...and homemade tacos

Last week the 2nd counselor in our bishopric asked me to speak in church the next week (which was yesterday.) He said they always had the new couples speak. I was excited...cuz I love speaking! I love studying the topic and being able to share what I learned. So I prepared my talk on Repentance and Pesonal Growth all week.
Sunday morning comes and I wake up at 7:30am to shower and get ready. You can't be late to church when you're speaking. And also when we've only been in the ward for 3 weeks.
I was a little stressed because the printer wasn't printing right, and I had thoughts of having to take my laptop up to the pulpit, and that scared me!
Finally we got it to print, I handed it to Chris and we rushed out the door. Or I should say we stepped outside and closed the door behind us with much regret...we didn't have our keys! No car keys to get to church, and no house keys to get back in. (This is about the time Chris reminds me that he wanted to leave a hide-a-key under our mat, and I didn't want him to leave it there. We were going to find a place in the backyard...bummer that we hadn't done that yet!)

So we were pretty much stranded. I was standing there with my talk in hand, sacrament meeting starting in 10 minutes...and Chris and I just stared at each other....did this really just happen??

We didn't have any phone numbers of anyone in the ward, or anyone close enough to give us a ride. So we ended up walking around the beautiful city of Dana Point for 3 HOURS until someone came in to the our agent's office where they had a spare key. So I pretty much did a no-show at church when I was supposed to speak.

We called the counselor when we got in the house and explained what happened. He laughed and said it was the best excuse he'd ever heard for getting out of a talk. But he's giving me another chance, I get to give my talk in 2 weeks. So much for making first impressions in our new ward. :)

Later that evening Chris and I made our famous homemade tacos (my parents recipe) for some friends. We had 6 people over for some fabulous sparkling lemonade drinks, appetizers, yummy tacos, and brownie sundaes and hot chocolate for dessert (thanks to the help of my brother our friends!) We had a great time, I think I laughed so hard last night that my stomach hurt at the end. Everyone left a little after 10pm, and we both just crashed into bed. What an awesome night! We loved having our first visitors over. And we just love our new place! Now that it's all put together and cute, I'll take some pictures of it and put them up soon.
And we love visitors, so if anyone is in the area, please stop by!

2 comments:

Megan said...

Wierd- there was a person in our ward yesterday who was a no show for her talk. Maybe she got locked out too! We had to put a lock on our blog- I emailed you an invite, I hope you got it! Let me know if you can't see our blog.

LAURA and ELIZA said...

I love that story! And...I'm coming down to see your house in March, K! Love ya!