Monday, September 22, 2008

My Grandpa Peel

Yesterday Heather made a sweet post about her Grandpa and wanted to record the memory. It immediately made me remember my last memory (and one of my favorites) of my grandpa and I wanted to write it down. Just some personal indulgence time.

My mom's parents were divorced when my mom was still young, so I've never knew my grandparents as being together. But every holiday my grandpa made a big deal about seeing his family. 4th of July was "his holiday" and we always went out and spent July 3rd in Moorpark with him at their big city celebration.

Christmas at his house was always fun - playing with his shelties that he bred and wondering what cool present he would give us. The only time I saw my grandpa was on these holidays, so I have many fond memories of him. He was always so excited to give us presents. One year he gave us all pencils with our names engraved. Those that know me well can imagine how much I loved that! I couldn't wait to go to school the next day, have someone "steal" my pencil and me ask for it back. When they'd say, "What? It doesn't have your name on it!" I could say, "Yes it does!" I don't think it ever happened, but it would have been cool.

The summer after I graduated high school my grandpa took me and my cousin to the fair. We rode on some crazy rides that made us sick, but we had a great time. I was able to get to know my grandpa a lot more. I think I got to know him more that trip than any holiday I ever saw him. He was such a kind man and so loving. I could tell he was getting old and just seemed so pensive about what mattered most to him. I could tell how much he loved me - even though he didn't know who I was dating, what my favorite food was, or how much I loved the gospel. He didn't know everything about me, but I felt his perfect love for me. He accepted me and I felt like he wanted to give me everything. I was so sad when that day ended - it was the best day with my grandpa.

A few months later Michael was headed up to Ricks and I was off to my freshman year at BYU. We set out on the drive when we got a phone call that grandpa was in the hospital. It was for something minor (I can't remember right now what it's called), but it wasn't supposed to be a big deal. We debated what to do, but at the last minute decided to stop and see him before we drove to Utah. I was a little bummed, because I was so excited to get to BYU and this would be a little set back on time. But we stopped to say hello.

When I saw him lying in the hospital bed I was so sad. He was so weak and tired and seemed so old to me. He really wasn't that old (I have young grandparents) but he just looked it. Life had definitely taken a toll on him. But something else was different about him. He seemed so soft, so pensive, so reminiscent. He would grab my hand and say over and over how much he loved that day at the fair with me. He kept saying how much fun we had, and he told me he loved me a couple times. My grandpa had never talked like that to me. I remember him telling me over the years that he loved me, but this time it was the strongest. It was like he knew something I didn't know, and he wanted me to know he loved me in spite of all time I didn't get to see him. It was like he knew he was dying and he was remembering his life and what was important to him. I had never seen my grandpa like that - and it was a sweet moment.

After being at BYU a few days I received the phone call that my grandpa passed away. I cried so hard and remembered our day at the fair and was so glad we stopped to see him in the hospital. I pray for my grandpa and pray that he embraces the gospel again. I can't wait to see him after this life and to live with him forever. I am so grateful for eternal families.

Thanks for reading if you did, I just remembered this and didn't want to forget to record it somewhere. I wish I had a picture of my grandpa, he was such a handsome man, but I don't have any digital ones. I'll get one and post it soon.

3 comments:

Happy Family said...

You made me sad remembering all that. But, it was nice to take a moment and remember my grandpa. Love ya grandpa.

Lisa said...

thanks for sharing that! I'm glad you had such a sweet grandpa. And can I say I laughed and laughed and laughed at the pencil part because that is so you. And honestly, because I would have planned the same thing in my head if I had been given a pencil with my name on it. Maybe that's why we are friends.

Hizzeather said...

I'm going to plan on doing something like this every Sunday. It's so good to honor our ancestors and remember them, especially the good times. Thanks!