This is the first year that I have taken the time to study up on multiple issues on this year's ballot. I love studying the issues and being informed, and I know there are many more, but here are just a few.
Prop 8 is a definite that needs to pass - but there are other propositions that are important. I decided to let my fellow Californians know about a few that I will be voting on - and encourage you to study and vote as well.
I know this is sooooo last minute. (A day before the election - I know!) But if you read this in time, join me in voting.....
YES on Prop 4
The initiative would prohibit abortion for unemancipated minors until 48 hours after physician notifies minor’s parent, legal guardian or, if parental abuse has been reported, an alternative adult family member.
NO on Prop 2
Proposition 2, the proposed Standards for Confining Farm Animals initiative statute, is a California ballot proposition in that state's general election on November 4, 2008. The proposition would add a chapter to Division 20 of the California Health and Safety Code to prohibit the confinement of certain farm animals in a manner that does not allow them to turn around freely, lie down, stand up, and fully extend their limbs.
= This one may sound controversial. When I first heard it I said yes immediately. Until you read and study both sides. I listened to my family talk about it tonight and then I just spent time on the Internet reading about the pros and cons. I have decided to vote no. Many places will go out of business, prices may increase, and there are already health codes in place where farms give adequate space to their animals. Here is another reason why....
"Opponents claim that Proposition 2 is a risky, dangerous and costly measure banning almost all modern egg production in California. Proposition 2 jeopardizes food safety and public health, wipes out Californians’ access to locally grown, fresh eggs, and harms consumers by driving up prices at grocery stores and restaurants and creates a dependency on eggs shipped from other states and Mexico."
NO on 1a
Prop. 1A asks voters to approve the issuance of $9.95 billion of general obligation bonds. This would partially fund a $40 billion, 800-mile high speed train under the supervision of the California High-Speed Rail Authority. The train would run between San Francisco and Los Angeles, with Anaheim, California, designated as the southern terminus of the initial segment of the high-speed train system. Estimates are that the train system would be completed in 2030, and that it would take passengers between San Francisco and Los Angeles in about 2 hours and 40 minutes.[4],[5],[6]
$950 million of the bond proceeds would be available for capital projects on other passenger rail lines to provide connectivity to the high-speed train system and for capacity enhancements and safety improvements to those lines.[7],[4]
The new debt from 1A, including interest, must be paid from the general fund.
Proposition 1A would issue $9.95 billion in bonds to partially fund a $45 billion high-speed rail service project between San Francisco and Los Angeles. Taxpayers would pay $19.4 billion over 30 years to cover bond costs. Transportation experts have noted that the project has grown increasingly expensive and could cost as much as $81 billion by 2030.
This may be something for the future, but opponents of this say this isn't the way and the one to let pass.
And as always....YES on Prop 8. Great new video below....watch it and vote!
http://protectmarriage.com/tell
Sunday, November 2, 2008
The ballot and my political side
Posted by Karly at 11:17 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
I am so glad it's over, well almost, we are still anxiously awaiting the prop 8 results
Post a Comment