Wednesday, April 30, 2008

BYU April of 2005

Everyone has been doing it, so I'm jumping on the band wagon. With BYU graduation just past, I of course thought of my own graduation.

It all started in DT where I met some of my best friends. We stayed up late, had food fights, went on crazy dates, attended every football game and devotional, searched for hot springs, and many other unmentionables. I worked at the BYU Bookstore cleaning at 4:30am...that didn't last long. :)

I changed my major a few more times going into my sophomore year. It was a year where I got my heart broke for the first real time, learned to the play the guitar from my roommate, played Dr. Mario like crazy, thought I broke Lisa's giraffe, got into tennis and rock climing, and started working for BYU Catering.

My third year I moved out on my own and missed my friends like crazy, I prepared for a mission, worked for Cut-co for like 2 weeks, changed my major for the last time, camped in Escalante, went skiing for the first time, made the difficult decision of not serving a mission, and interviewed to be an EFY counselor.

That summer I did EFY for 8 weeks and felt like I found myself again. I survived dancing and singing with teenagers, teaching the gospel every day all day, falling off a bunk bed and getting a concussion, and learning some of the greatest lessons of my life while I had the time of my life. I lived in a condo overcome with spiders on my weeks off in Provo and cried over the Lakers losing in the playoffs. What a summer!

My last 2 years were filled with condo row excitement, lots of bbq's and lots of football throwing, loving my classes and my major, and wondering if I'd graduate without getting married! And yes, that did happen. But I'm so, so glad I waited. It was tough to watch most of my friends get married, but I'd do it all over again to wait for Chris.

My BYU experience was a test of faith, a test of my strength, a test of my character, and I hopefully left a little more refined and molded as I learned hard lessons and served those around me. It built a foundation for the rest of my life and I rely on my experiences I had there over and over. And of course I left with some of my best friends today. I love BYU!









6 comments:

lyndsey said...

it's okay, all the cool girls graduate without being married ;)

Hizzeather said...

Love this post! It's good to get to know you before I even knew you! Does that make sense? :)

Megan said...

Hurray for EFY!! Thanks to your roomates of the spider apt. for letting me be a squatter :) Look at your short hair!! You look gorgeous short or long, lucky girl!

Lisa said...

geez, you're almost making me cry thinking about byu and how fun those days were. then i looked at the last picture and a i look like a crazy lady with a lazy eye or something. that stopped the tears.

Eldredge greatness said...

Karly I love how supportive your parents are in your life. isnt it great to have them? I love your blog. I had to dedicate a post to you... how else would I get your attention? I love you and your new hubby. xoxoxoxoxo

Happy Family said...

Man I am so sad I missed it. For everyone elses benefit I have to explain that I got food poisoning the day of your graduation. All my family is out celebrating and having a good time and I am stuck on the bathroom floor!

I wish soooo badly that I was in those pics.

At least my husband and kids made it!