Sunday, April 6, 2008

Mexican Jumping Bean vs. Paddle Ball

Easter came to our house a little late this year...at least the celebrations did. We went to my parent's house for dinner and spent the night there on Easter Sunday, and then the week(s) got so busy that we never gave our Easter Baskets to each other...until a few nights ago.

We gave each other a $5 limit for easter basket goodies (not only does this save money, but it made it a little more fun.)
Chris opened his first and was probably most excited about his favorite kind of gum at the bottom. (I was proud of that.)
Then came what he got for me. He bought me one of those pre-packaged easter baskets with candy and little kids games. Before I opened it we both noticed a paddle ball game at the same time, and we both called out to play it first at the same time. (Remember this was MY basket?) I opened it, but unfortunately he was stronger and got to the paddle ball game first. So I was stuck with the only other game....Mexcian jumping bean. It was this little plastic thing with a ring around the edge and a hole in the middle. There was a little bean that had a weight in it so it flip flopped around the edge. You had to roll the bean to the center hole to win.
So Chris starts playing with his paddle ball, so proud of himself for getting the good game first, as I struggle with the jumping bean. His ball starts flying around his head and it becomes kind of dangerous. After a few tries he gives up and puts it down...it really wasn't that fun.
He then became interested in my game. (Go figure.) It was tough! But I did pretty good by jumping it in the hole (Chris said this was cheating, that you had to ROLL it in. But I don't remember seeing any instructions with the game or anything that disqualifies you. As far as I'm concerned, as long as it gets in the hole, you win. And it is called Mexican JUMPING Bean...)
To prove to him that I could do it by rolling, I then spent the next 5-10 minutes trying to roll that little bean in the hole.
So there we were...10:30pm sitting on our bed....I'm getting frustrated with the little plastic game....and Chris is anxiously staring and waiting for his turn.
When I finally got it I let Chris try. I picked up the paddle ball while he played, and I agree...it was kind of dangerous.

I loved our first Easter together. And the $5 limit rule? We wouldn't have had all this fun if we hadn't done that.

What a wonderful be-lated Easter basket trade. This what we do since we don't have kids. :)

2 comments:

Megan said...

I love it!! What a great idea! I might have to steal your tradition. Hey- send me your email again... I sent you an email, but I'm not sure if its the right one.

Sorensens said...

Hi Karly- just had to say Hi. You look so grown up and pretty, I don't think I would have recognized you. Have a great day.